Monday, October 22, 2012

Gobble Gobble

It is officially one month until Thanksgiving.  It just so happens to be my favorite holiday (so much so we planned our wedding on Thanksgiving weekend!)  What can I say:  I love spending time with family, fall weather, fall decor, fall food, and a holiday completely dedicated to giving thanks!  There is something about celebrating relationships and giving thanks for those around us without any consumerism mixed in.  Any who, here are a few more of my favorite fall recipes, including a fantastic Make Ahead Mashed Potato Recipe that I highly recommend for your Thanksgiving Feast!

Roast Beef

This is one of my all time favorite Fall recipes.  It came from a long time family friend Mark Lee.  I think it is the best Roast recipe I have ever had but you can decide that for yourself.  This one I made in the crock pot because I was teaching lessons all afternoon so I wouldn't be home.  I do prefer it in a good 'ole fashioned Roast Pan.

Roast Beef
Ingredients:
4-5 lb Chuck Roast
Salt
Pepper
Flour
2 Chopped Onions
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Ketchup
1/3 C Dry Sherry
1/4 tsp Rosemary
1 Bay Leaf
1 Clove Garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp Dry Mustard
1/4 tsp Marjoram
1/4 tsp Thyme

Directions:
Salt and Pepper the Beef then dredge in flour, Brown.  When almost browned add 2 chopped onions.  When completely browned transfer to roaster pan.  In a separate bowl mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over beef.  Bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2-3 hours.  Strain broth and make gravy.

Crockpot directions:
Salt and Pepper the Beef then dredge in flour, Brown.  When almost browned add 2 chopped onions.  When completely browned transfer to crockpot.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-6 hours.


Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Who wants to eat cold mashed potatoes?!  Anybody, Anybody?  Not me!  However, when you are planning a meal like a Thanksgiving Meal it is always a tricky task to make sure you get them done just at the right time.  Well here is the solution!  My mom makes these ahead of time and then on Thanksgiving day she transfers them to a chaffing dish and warms them up that way.  This way they stay warm even for the second round! This recipe relieves stress on the day of the meal and is also DELISH!

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
5 lbs Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 (8oz) Pkg Cream Cheese
1 C Sour Cream
2 tsp Garlic Salt/Onion Salt
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 T Butter
1/2 C Milk (optional)

Directions:
Boil and mash potatoes, add all ingredients.  Place potatoes in a greased casserole dish.  Back at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.  Freeze up to 4 weeks and thaw completely before baking.  Serves 10-12.




No comments:

Post a Comment