Monday, October 8, 2012

Fall Food Time

I don't know about you guys but sometimes I have a real hard time coming up with a weekly menu of meals to cook.  I love it when I find new recipes and get ideas from what friends are making.  Fall is one of my favorite "Food Seasons" so I am full of ideas right now.  Here are two dishes that I have made recently that go over well with my family.

Chicken Pot Pie

This is a recipe I got from my friend Angela when we went back "home" to visit friends and family in Kansas City.  It is a meal that somebody brought her right after she had her son.  It is very toddler friendly as it is packed with lots of veggies.  I don't know if anybody else has a hard time getting their child to eat veggies but I do.  Josiah doesn't even seem to notice them in this dish (except he picks the carrots out first to eat them... they are his fav).  Plus, the cheese biscuit topping is Delish!

WARNING:  This makes a very large amount that could easily feed 10.  When I am making this for my family of 3 (soon to be 4 *big grin*) I put half in a freezer/oven friendly pan before baking.  This way I already have a meal ready for a busy night!  I've been doing this quite often lately  for when I cross over into my third trimester and I have less energy to cook.

A few other notes:  I really dislike the taste of boiled chicken.  So this is what I do.  I get a (2 pack) package of split chicken breasts with the skin on. They are usually pretty cheap/on sale too!  I cook them in the crock pot on high for 2-3 hours or low for about 4 hours with a tiny bit of salt.  When it is done I peel off the skin and the chicken practically falls off the bone.  Watch out for the long skinny bones that are easy to miss.  I discard the bones and skin and the meat cuts up wonderfully.  I also use red potatoes and cook them in the microwave. :-)  If you choose to do it this way then I would combine all the filling ingredients except the chicken and potatoes, bring it to a light boil, then add the chix and taters.

Chicken Pot Pie
Filling:
4 cups cooked cubed chicken
1pkg (12 oz) frozen broccoli and cheese sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2-3 medium potatoes, cubed
3/4 C chicken broth
2/3 C sour cream
1 pkg (12 oz) frozen veggie medley
1/4 tsp pepper 
Topping:
3 C biscuit baking mix
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 C Milk
6 Tbsp butter, melted 
Directions:
Cook Chicken and potatoes in pot (cook potatoes until the chicken is cooked through.)
Combine all filling ingredients in a dutch oven or large pot, bring to boil.  Transfer to greased 9x13 baking dish.
In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients, spoon over the top of the filling.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown.


Salisbury Steak

I know, I know, when you think Salisbury Steak you usually think of the frozen dinners that are less than appetizing.  For some reason my mind goes back to the cartoon "Doug" from my child hood.  I have a memory of the characters being served Salisbury Steak and it NEVER looked appetizing.  However, this is one of my husband's favorite dishes.  Which is actually a funny story.  I made this for him the first couple weeks we were married.  When I told Steven (who is usually NOT picky at all)  that I was making this he gave me a very skeptical look.  He was shocked when he tasted it and even had seconds (which he normally doesn't do... he's not a big eater).

CONFESSION: I did use Hungry Jack instant potatoes in the particular picture (blush).  However, I do have a fantastic make-ahead mashed potato recipe for those of you who are very busy as well.  I will post it closer to Thanksgiving because I will certainly be making it this year.

Notes: Make sure the patties are not too large (make 6-8 patties) and the skillet is set just above Medium.  This will prevent the onions from turning to bitter crispies.  This is not a nice touch, trust me.

Salisbury Steak
Ingredients:
3 Tbsp butter
1 onion
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1-2 Brown Gravy Mixes 
Directions:  Mix beef, bread crumbs, and spices.  Make into patties.  In non-stick skillet melt butter, cook onion until slightly tender.  Place patties in skillet and cook, flip halfway through.  Make gravy in separate pot.  Pour over patties and let simmer.

There is nothing like going down nostalgia lane with wonderful food.  Does anybody else remember Salisbury Steak from the Doug show or am I just crazy?  Do you have fun fall recipes that you specifically wait in anticipation for the weather to change to justify making them?  Please share I would love to try them!



No comments:

Post a Comment